- Audit food storeroom items to maintain consistent quality of products and ensure adherence to all health code requirements. Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness.
- Train, supervise, schedule and participate in activities of chefs, cooks and stewards. Maintain controls in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls and forecast needs.
- Monitor staff performance, product quality and production flow. Analyze feedback from clients and take action to implement improvement when needed. Maintain a working rapport with all hotel staff for efficient operation and service to clients.
- Assist in creating and implementing new menus for all aspects of banquets based on current food trends and regional tastes Develop innovative menu selections for special banquet themes and parties in accordance with client budgetary considerations and expectations.
- Review all event orders and create product requisitions taking into account variables such as waste, size of function, demographic of event, cost and inventory.
- And perform any other task assigned by the Executive Banquet Chef and/or the Executive Chef.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Graduation from accredited Culinary school preferred
Experience: 3 years as banquet chef or sous chef in high volume luxury hotel environment
Certificates or Licenses:Maricopa County Food Service Worker Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to perform duties with in extreme temperature ranges for long period of time.
- Ability to work on slippery and wet surfaces for a continuous period of time.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions.
- Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) necessary to interpret reports and budgets.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow up effectively on assignments.
- Extensive knowledge of creative menu development, insight to marketing, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation to include ethnic cuisines and “Fusion” cooking.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Additional language ability preferred. (Spanish).
- Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 400 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain effective communication lines between line staff, reporting supervisors, peers and Executive Banquet Chef.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit continuously to perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience tact and diplomacy. Collect accurate information to resolve conflicts and use approved managing techniques.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations, distinguish product, taste, texture and presentation and observe preparation.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus.
- Organized, articulate, capable of diplomacy, well groomed, comfortable with media exposure.
*This position is a safety-sensitive position. Under the law, safety-sensitive positions are defined as positions where the employee operates, repairs, maintains or monitors the performance or operation of a motor vehicle, equipment, machinery, or power tools. Safety-sensitive positions may also include jobs where the tasks or duties required of the employee could affect the safety or health of the employee performing the task or others.