posted May 12, 2023
Director of Food & Beverage
As we enter La Playa 2.0 with a multi million dollar renovation, we are seeking a superstar F&B leader seeking their next exciting hospitality role; overseeing outlets for La Playa AND Hotel Carmel...curiosity, creativity, energy and passion are just SOME of the keys to success with CH&R!
Summary of Position:
The Director of Food & Beverage is responsible for the overall success of all Food and Beverage outlets for La Playa and Hotel Carmel. This individual will be responsible for hiring, training, overall guest service, purchasing, quality assurance, driving revenue and maintaining cost ratios and profitability of these outlets. This role will also oversee the Banquet Manager and all food & beverage related service and execution. Major property renovations in the making for a perfect start to the season and next chapter in the history of our property!
* Embrace, role model, ensure and maintain the highest levels of customer service and culture.
* Assist with Interviewing, selecting, training, counseling and discipline of all Food & Beverage Associates & Supervisors to ensure the efficient and guest service driven operation of the division.
* Assist in managing and impacting revenue through training/upselling programs, marketing and competitive pricing surveys.
* Organize and conduct pre-shift and departmental meetings communicating pertinent information to staff, such as house count and menu changes, etc.
* Oversee supervisor’s schedules to ensure consistent floor/outlet coverage and support.
* Interact positively with customers and guests alike all the while promoting hotel facilities and services.
* Resolve problems to the satisfaction of involved parties.
* Answer telephones in a clear voice, coordinate and document any guest concerns or comments.
* Implement and use data driven decision making.
* Ensure delivery of service standards as directed.
* Identify and ensure efficiencies in the operation.
* Enhance guests experience by recording guests preference to ensure constancy of personalized service.
* Work closely with the Executive Chef to ensure the success of each banquet event.
* Maintain rapport with all departments and attend relevant meetings.
* Assist the Executive Chef with menu implementation by training all staff members.
* Create and maintain specialty drink lists and wine lists.
* Control payroll and equipment costs (minimize loss and misuse).
* Ensure par stock levels are maintained by calculating inventory, ordering, and retrieving supplies and stocking shelves by stooping, bending, lifting heavy articles and reaching overhead.
* Evaluate cost effectiveness of all aspects of operation.
* Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancing measures.
* Input and retrieve data and change computer procedures using complex series of key punches to program system.
* Ensure maintenance of equipment by calling for repairs and training staff on proper use.
* Conduct competitive research and report trends and recommendations.
* Support the entire Food & Beverage operation including supervising other areas if necessary, handling special projects, running promotions and all other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
* Participate with the Executive Chef and Catering Manager in the creation of attractive menus with merchandising and promotions designed to attract a predetermined customer market.
* Provide clean and safe environment by assigning and assisting with specific cleaning duties.
* Any other tasks as assigned by the General Manager.
Education: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. High School Diploma required. College degree preferred.
Experience: Position requires 4 years previous Food & Beverage experience and supervisory experience. Luxury / ultra-luxury preferred.
Certificates or Licenses: Monterey County Food Manager’s card and TIPS alcohol certification.
Language: Additional language ability is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Food & Beverage operations including foods, beverages, supervisory aspects, service techniques and guest interaction.
- Considerable skill in math and algebraic equations using percentages.
- Ability to walk, stand and/or bend continuously to perform essential job functions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and lift lighter objects overhead.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
Communicates effectively: Speaks and listens in a clear, thorough, and timely manner, effectively reading and writing, using the English language.
Professional Appearance: Highly professional appearance. All Associates must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance (specific grooming standards are available).
Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with La Playa Carmel’s rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of the Hotel’s facilities. Associates who violate Hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
La Playa Carmel believes that each guest should be treated with respect and professionalism. Individuals must possess and demonstrate the ability to interact with all guests, internal and external, with respect, empathy, effectively with tact and diplomacy and in keeping with La Playa’s service standards.
Attendance as scheduled is a critical element in all positions at La Playa Carmel.
The leaders and team members of La Playa Carmel believe each guest should be treated with respect and professionalism. We create memorable experiences, inviting our guests to return. In order to be successful at La Playa Carmel, team members must share both our vision and our values. This includes possessing and demonstrating a high level of courtesy and respect for both internal and external guests. Our fun, friendly and naturally grand associates treat every guest as if they were our only guest. A true customer focus is essential to success with our property.